Most members of the organic community are likely familiar with the USDA organic regulations. However, not all certified operations know about the National Organic Program (NOP) Handbook. An extremely useful resource for people who own, manage or certify organic operations, the NOP Handbook provides guidance and instructions intended to clarify policies, so it helps with ensuring compliance with the regulations.
Available electronically on the NOP website, the handbook covers such topics as:
- How to determine if an input is synthetic or non-synthetic
- Guidance on materials used in post-harvest handling
- How to comply with the natural resource and biodiversity requirements in the regulation
- Livestock feed additive guidance
- Pesticide testing requirements
- And more